Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Sewage gases: check valve?

On Oct 21, 9:46*am, wrote:
On Oct 21, 8:43*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:27:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Oct 21, 7:59*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My washer is basically at the same level as the main stack (or whatever
its horizontal equivalent). So there is not sufficient elevation to have
* a p-trap on the exhaust (take my word for it - I just can't do it).

So I bought a check valve at HD. I think it's intended for a sump pump.
Will it solve my problem?

No - if it is a check valve, it will catch lint, clog & never shut
properly after about a week of use.

This is what you want-http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6833156

HD carries them as a "cheater vent" * *- * Put it on the top of the
pipe that your washer drains into- and sani-T the drain hose. [there
should be directions showing installations in the package]

Jim

That solves the problem of not being able to have a vent pipe on the
drain where it is located and works with a P trap. *It does not
eliminate the need for a P trap, which is what the stated problem is.

I am not a plumber-- and I know some codes don't allow them. * But
they work fine as a vent, and don't allow sewer gas into the house.
[the latter being the purpose of the p-trap, right?]

They work as a vent in COMBINATION with a p-trap. * In an installation
with a p-trap and conventional vent pipe, the water in the p-trap
blocks the gases from coming into the house through the drain and the
vent pipe gives the gases an alternate low pressure exit out the
roof. * *The device you recommended, commonly called an air admittance
valve, is used where you can't provide a nearby vent pipe, like a
kitchen island sink. * It allows air in, to prevent a vacuum from
forming and allowing water to flow normally. * It will not allow waste
gases to come out through the valve in the reverse direction. * But
the gases will still flow right out of the drain if there is no p-trap
filled with water. * *Also, the air admittance valve depends on there
being some other actual vent pipe in the system.

He says there is not sufficient elevation for a P trap, for which I
think we need more explanation..

I agree here- a picture of the setup would probably elicit a 1/2 dozen
ways to attack the problem.

Yes, since the typical washer can pump probably as high as the
ceiling, it would seem a p-trap should be able to go somewhere.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I have a friend whose main sewer line goes across one wall of his
basement at about the same height as his washing machine. The washing
machine connects to the stack about 3 ft above that. He eventually
moved the machines upstairs when his kids moved out.

Jimmie