Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Sewage gases: check valve?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:27:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 21, 7:59 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,
My washer is basically at the same level as the main stack (or whatever
its horizontal equivalent). So there is not sufficient elevation to have
a p-trap on the exhaust (take my word for it - I just can't do it).
So I bought a check valve at HD. I think it's intended for a sump pump.
Will it solve my problem?
No - if it is a check valve, it will catch lint, clog & never shut
properly after about a week of use.

This is what you want-http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6833156

HD carries them as a "cheater vent" - Put it on the top of the
pipe that your washer drains into- and sani-T the drain hose. [there
should be directions showing installations in the package]

Jim

That solves the problem of not being able to have a vent pipe on the
drain where it is located and works with a P trap. It does not
eliminate the need for a P trap, which is what the stated problem is.

I am not a plumber-- and I know some codes don't allow them. But
they work fine as a vent, and don't allow sewer gas into the house.
[the latter being the purpose of the p-trap, right?]

Interesting idea. But the description is "breaks siphoning action caused
by draining water" and "keep water seal in trap" and "located at least
6" above trap arm top". It is intended to add a vent to a P trap.
Without the trap there is nothing to prevent sewer gas from coming into
the house.

He says there is not sufficient elevation for a P trap, for which I
think we need more explanation..

I agree here- a picture of the setup would probably elicit a 1/2 dozen
ways to attack the problem.

Ditto.

--
bud--