Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Sewage gases: check valve?

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My washer is basically at the same level as the main stack (or
whatever its horizontal equivalent). So there is not sufficient
elevation to have a p-trap on the exhaust (take my word for it - I
just can't do it).
So I bought a check valve at HD. I think it's intended for a sump
pump. Will it solve my problem?

And if so - what's the best location to install it. The PVC exhaust
that the washer drains into has a vertical part that then flows into a
horizontal part. Is better to install the check valve is far down the
stream as possible? or the other way around? or six of one?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

If there is not enough elevation to install a "P-trap", you will find that a
sump pump check valve is built to be installed vertically so that the ball
closes the pipe by gravity, so there may not be enough room to install it
either.