Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewage gases: check valve?

On Oct 21, 7:59*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My washer is basically at the same level as the main stack (or whatever
its horizontal equivalent). So there is not sufficient elevation to have
* a p-trap on the exhaust (take my word for it - I just can't do it).

So I bought a check valve at HD. I think it's intended for a sump pump.
Will it solve my problem?

No - if it is a check valve, it will catch lint, clog & never shut
properly after about a week of use.

This is what you want-http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6833156

HD carries them as a "cheater vent" * *- * Put it on the top of the
pipe that your washer drains into- and sani-T the drain hose. [there
should be directions showing installations in the package]

Jim

That solves the problem of not being able to have a vent pipe on the
drain where it is located and works with a P trap. It does not
eliminate the need for a P trap, which is what the stated problem is.

He says there is not sufficient elevation for a P trap, for which I
think we need more explanation..