Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Garage into Welding Shop

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Tony wrote:
Would there be any building code applicable if I want to section off part
of my garage for a small welding business? Or is this something I get
business insurance for and they tell me the specs.?

You need a business permit from the town, you may need a welding permit from
the town, you need business insurance, the building must meet fire code for
welding. That may or may not mean a sprinkler system. If you employ
anyone, you have to have workman's comp and meet OHSHA requirements.

Before commiting any money to this, talk to the building inspector, the fire
mashall, and your insurance agent. Oh, and plans for any changes to the
building may have to be drawn up by an architect before they will be
approved. If you have zoning laws or land use laws, talk to those people as
well.

Is it fun yet?

I ran a home based service business out of my garage for 15 years when I
was up in PA, so I know a little about running a business out of a home.
I got tired of it and decided to move so I closed the doors after 15
years. No way will I have an employee, too much added paperwork. And
as I replied to another post, there is no city/town/township government
building inspector, because there is no building code here!!!!!!!!!!!!
For real, there is NO building code or inspector. There are only
electric and septic codes/inspectors!

The most important people I have to answer to is my business insurance
and their inspector. I just thought maybe someone here had possibly
done something similar and could tell me if I'm going to have to build a
block wall as a divider, or if I can frame and double drywall it.

I will start looking for business insurance and ask them the questions.