Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Replacing microwave cardboard shield

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 19, 10:21 pm, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
diggerodell wrote:
Is the shiny side around the light bulb that illuminates the interior
of the oven? If so, replacing it with plain cardboard will be ok, but
the light level will be much less. If it is anywhere else, the shiny
side may be electrically conductive and part of the microwave system
and should not be replaced with plain cardboard. Why not use duct
tape to hold the original in place?
Uh, don't use the fabric stuff. Go get a roll of real duct tape, the
sticky aluminum kind. It is actually rated for temps as high as the
microwave box will actually get.
Aluminum foil tape withstands attic heat better than ordinary cloth-
plastic duct tape does, but alumium foil tape is not guaranteed for
high temperatures since its adhesive is often rated for only 160
Fahrenheit, sometimes for 250-300.

Not disputing your statements, but aside from what you mentioned around
the light bulb, how hot does your microwave get inside? I've had several
over the years, and none of them got too hot to touch inside.

Never seen a consumer microwave with a visible mica window over a
waveguide outlet. All the ones I have ever field-stripped had a plastic
top to the cooking compartment, with a spinner above. But in re-reading
OP's post, I wonder if you may be right, and they have some older
pre-spinner model. In which case I recommend they just live with it
while they save up for a replacement. New microwaves are getting
absurdly cheap compared to what they were in the old days.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

"Never seen a consumer microwave with a visible mica window over a
waveguide outlet."

My Sharp Carousel has one.

I've replaced it numerous times over the years, originally by spending
too much on a original replacement part, more recently by buying a
sheet of mica material from a local appliance repair shop. Now I cut
my own.

They get food splattered on them, which burns a hole in them and then
the spraks start flying.

Hmm. Learn something every day on this here interweb thing. Guess my
sample size of a couple dozen personal, relatives, and resurrected
dumpster microwaves was too small.

--
aem sends...