Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default DIY spray in foam insulation

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:09:21 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

I started replacing the siding on a pickup bed camper and when I got
the siding stripped down I found the fiberglass insulation was not in
the best shape. I was thinking of trying one of the DIY kits of
polyurethane spray in insulation instead of putting back more
fiberglass batting. Ive read the brochures but I wondered if anyone
has had any first hand experience using it. It looks to me like you
just keep spraying in thin layers , let them expand and set then do it
again to you get the thickness you want. I was looking for the
gotchas. My plan is to set the tanks up on a work table with casters
and have the wife push it around the camper following me. Hopefully
once we start we can just keep going until its done. Since the
framing is 2 X2 I figure two passes should be enough.

Jimmie

"gotchas"

There are minimal expanding, and triple expanding types. Pick the
proper one.

Triple expanding foam, used around a door frame or windows might cause
the frames to bow.

http://www.greatstuff.dow.com/products/index.htm