john carlson

Default Is Usnet Dying?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:29:29 GMT, Nova
wrote:
My next door neighbor works "network tech support" (internal to the
company) for Adelphia Cable. Prior to me showing him what "UseNet" was,
he didn't even know it existed. I suspect it is the same with many of the
"kids" working for various ISP's.

More to the point, it's true of the vast majority of Internet users
today. So as far as the ISPs are concerned, Usenet is not something
that very many subscribers care about, and not something that's worth
putting much time or money into.

My ISP has a pretty crappy news server. Often down, slow, lots of
missing messages, minuscule retention times. There are a couple of
on-line forums where the ISP has an official or at least semi-official
presence and when users complain about the news service, their
response is that they're tryin' but realistically, there's only so
much priority that they can give to a service that's used by perhaps
5-10% of their subscribers.

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net