Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chemical smell in home and freezer not as cold as before

Turning the thermostat on a broken fridge, is like stomping
the gas pedal of a car that's out of gas.

Refrigerant is a generic name. Freon is a brand name, and
should be capitalized. Like Isotron, Genetron, Forane, which
are other brands of refrigerant.

Most refrigerants are odorless, or nearly odorless.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"lora" wrote in message
Thanks for the responses. We've turned the freezer section
temp lower
than before and will check to see if the temps will actually
lower.

Now, would a refrigerant leak cause the smell to permeate
the whole
1st floor of the house or would it be perceptible just near
the
appliance?

Today, the smell is not as pungent as yesterday but there is
still a
smell that now seems like ham/peas soup cooking or
something.

Also, refrigerant is same as freon? I did some google checks
and some
folks say that freon leak does not cause a smell.

Thank you!