Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default chemical smell in home and freezer not as cold as before

On Oct 20, 2:34*pm, lora wrote:
Thanks for the responses. We've turned the freezer section temp lower
than before and will check to see if the temps will actually lower.

Now, would a refrigerant leak cause the smell to permeate the whole
1st floor of the house or would it be perceptible just near the
appliance?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on what they use as a refrigerant. I believe
it is some sort of alcohol.

Today, the smell is not as pungent as yesterday but there is still a
smell that now seems like ham/peas soup cooking or something.

Also, refrigerant is same as freon? I did some google checks and some
folks say that freon leak does not cause a smell.

They don't use freon in refrigerators. Haven't in decades. EPA banned
it.

Freon doesn't smell, but the refrigerant they use now, does.

Just call a refrigerator repair person.