Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT traffic lights

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:18:34 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A bit like France's flashing amber, but there you still have to

slow
on the main road, as the side road can also be flashing amber and
traffic may emerge without stopping.

Do the French still have the "priority to traffic joining a road"
rule?

I've had several US colleagues complain to me about UK traffic
lights being confusing. This caused me to think about them more
critically and compare with the US traffic lights, and on reflection,
the US traffic light control is very much better.

How much is that down to most of their junctions being simple cross
roads, with generally fairly equal traffic on all 4 ways, rather than
our fairly common 5 or more ways with very different traffic levels
on each way?

They do have nice things though like "turn right on red" I didn't see
any flashing versions but I do like the french flashing system, I
think that is better than our "peak time only" set ups.

The fun thing is the states is a round about or "traffic circle" the
number of warning signs and instructions on how to negociate it are
quite a sight to behold. Wonder how they'd cope with a "magic round
about" like those in Swindon or Hemel(?)... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.