Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default LCD H - Lin ...?

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:56:59 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:35:01 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Little bit OT in that it's not any item that's on my bench, or ever will
be

Just returned from a trip across the pond, and the return aircraft was a
B-767 - the crappy dash 200 model with overhead screens. The large
screen
which was on the bulkhead a few rows in front of me, and which I believe
was
an LCD not a plaz, had real horizontal linearity issues at the lefthand
side. Nothing 'sharp' or 'digital' as you might expect with LCD display
technology, but a smoothly worsening error, the further you got to the
lefthand side. By about a quarter of the way across, the lin was normal,
and
remained so across the rest of the screen. The best way to describe it
is
that it looked exactly as a CRT set would, if someone had mis-set the
H-linearity coil.

Now I've been involved with LCD TV sets and monitors since they were
first
out, and I can't ever remember seeing one with this sort of effect.
Saddo
that I am, I have been wracking my brains to try to figure out just how
this
could even occur.

Anyone else ever seen this effect on an LCD display, or have any
thoughts
on
how it could occur ?

Arfa

My Olevia 32" has a 'panoramic' setting that makes it look as you
desribe but on both sides.

My mother's widescreen Panasonic CRT set had a 'nonsense' mode like this,
as
well. It used to switch itself to it automatically on such things as
sports
events, so you would get a sort of 'underwater' effect as the camera
panned
across a football field following the ball, or track runners that went
from
Stan to Olly as they progressed across the screen. I wonder why
manufacturers put rubbish modes like this on their sets ?Did someone at
Pan
actually come up with this crappy idea, and think that it looked ok ? And
worse, did his team supervisor actually sign off on it ?

Arfa

Wow that would be annoying to have it switch on automatically. I hate
it and it would drive me even more crazy to watch it in that mode.

One annoying thing mine does is forget its power on/off LED setting. I
don't care to see it when the set is on and certainly not when its off
since it is in my bedroom and is very bright. Bar getting into the
setup and turning it back off almost every other time the set is on
I'm ready to cover it with some black tape. I'm sure a firmware update
would fix it and there's a USB port for it but alas Syntax Brillian
filed for Chapter 11 on On July 8, 2008 and its assetts including the
Olevia name were purchased by Emerson Radio....heh. So I guess
I'm screwed and if anything major happens, it will be on the trash
truck next time it comes by. (unless you might have some info on where
to turn)

Black tape sounds good to me ... :-)

Arfa