Toby

Default singing... where are all the DIY stores gone...

Two large DIY stores near here (Beeston, Notts) have closed in the past
few
months. One replaced by a Wicks - which is fine if you want 600 tons of
something but not much use for just a few screws or a drill bit - or

even a
pot
of PVA, as I just found out! What's going on? Is this happening

elsewhere?

There is certainly a rationalisation in the Focus/Wickes group right now. In
a town with both, close the smaller store and make the larger/better placed
one a Wickes. Mind you the Focus stores must have been losing money hand
over fist judging by the emptyness/unhelpfullness of the place.
Even our local MFI and B&Q swapped sites about a mile apart to give B&Q the
larger site.
I'll drive past two competitors to get to the large Depot, because I'll know
there's a better chance of getting what I'm after.

It seems bigger/fewer is better, if Home Depot in the US is anything to go
by.

Toby.