Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy[_2_] Canchippy[_2_] is offline

Default Wood dyes

On Oct 9, 10:46*am, "Tom Dougall" wrote:
I have been trying to get 6 pieces of bloodwood 1/2 inch sq. X 9 in. without
success. *I thought maybe I could cut some Sycamore and dye it red instead.

Does anyone know of a wood dye the would soak right through the wood so that
whe I turn it down it will still show a deep red without blotches.

With most dyes or stains I would only be able to turn off a small amount
before I had turned all the coloured part away.

Regards

Tom

Tom this might be worth trying.
Use a water soluble dye. Mix it really strong and then place the
pieces in the dye and boil. Remember making pickled onions? Get a good
strong jar that will seal properly and bring it up to boiling
temperature in the oven. You need the liquid to be the right amount to
fill the jar with the wood in it. Pour boiling dye and wood into jar
and seal immediately. It takes a long time to get total penetration. I
did it with some 3/16"x 3/4" x 6" soft maple and after 2 months it was
successful. You might be able to reduce the time by doing the process
a few times, allowing the jar to cool completely and then releasing
the vacuum formed before re-boiling and re-pickling.
May be cleaner and easier just to open the wallet