Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default electrical board safety

NT wrote:
On Oct 19, 2:26 pm, nome wrote:

hello

our old cooker has packed up and were looking to replace with like
for
like, A single electric fan oven that slides into a unit. The old
cooker was just plugged into a socket and looking around most
products
seem to be hardwired in and require an electrician. Confusingly I
can't find anything that explains why some are socket based and most
are hardwired.

So we got an electrician in that quoted for, a hardwired oven, a wire
running back to our board. Then looking at our board he said it did
not meet current regs and recommended, if we want, a newer board
either with a RCD on the main switch or RCDs on 2 separate sections.
This work also required testing all our electrics. The total cost is
lot more than buying another socketed oven!

Looking at our board it says the following:

mk sentry consumer unit to BS 5486 PT13 1989
60a with rcd to 63a
rated with current switch disconnection

googling BS 5486 PT13 found
thishttp://www.standardsuk.com/shop/products_view.php?prod=32364.

I was wondering if we need to replace? And I believe our box has an
RCD as well?
Should we spend £300 on the cost of upgrade/hardwired oven or just
get another socket oven? Our hob is gas by the way.

Hopeful of any advise

cheers

Nomit

You've not supplied a pic of the setup, but if its post 1989 as you
say then its not likely to need any work.

All ovens that eat less than 3kW max, ie nearly all single ovens, can
go on a plug, regardless of what their fitting instructions say. Ovens
of the type that include a built in hob usually draw too much power to
run off a 13A plug.

I was also wondering if the OP meant 'oven' or 'cooker'. Usual case is oven
plugged in, electric hob wired in.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk