Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Adding sockets to ring main/add another ring

Andy Burns
wibbled on Monday 19 October 2009 20:27

Tim W wrote:

the new Hager Ashley maintenance free junction boxes:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html

You've mentioned those before, but I wonder, just because the
manufacturer declares the maintenance free, does that carry any weight
what so ever, would they be accepted by a BCO as not needing access?

I thought I'd seen various people slagging off similar sprung contacts
which are a bit more common on European fittings?

In the absence of any standard benchmark or test (eg a BS document or
equivalent), I would tend to believe manufacturers who generally
demonstrate competence.

It will also be very rare to find a BCO who wants to argue the merits of
BS7671 minutae, though his agents might...

On the other hand, I've bought stuff with screw terminals where it is near
impossible to get a decent clamp force on the core before the screw strips,
or the core disappears up the side of the screw, so you can do well adn do
badly in both camps.

Cheers

Tim
--