Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Adding sockets to ring main/add another ring

wibbled on Monday 19 October 2009 19:41

Do the fixed appliances merit a ring? They'd be quite happy on a 20
amp radial wouldn't they? I suppose it depends on whether there's
heating involved (washing machine, dishwasher, cooker). In our case
only one of those is in the kithechen though.

I considered using radials, but it's harder to work with 32A radials (cable
may need to be 6mm2 depending on installation methods and you can't really
get 2 6mm2 cables into one accessory).

20A radials might be fine for normal rooms, but in the kitchen/utility I
have:

1 combi microwave
1 Kettle
1 washing machine
1 dishwasher
1 tumble dryer

A lot of those are right next to sockets so it was easier to run a couple of
rings rather than try to second guess how 20A circuits might be arranged.

20A doesn't really map, especially as some of those can be plugged in to
random places. 32A worked much better, so I chose a ring as the most
practical implementation of a 32A circuit.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...