Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC question

On Oct 19, 1:31*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 05:47:04 -0700, trader4 wrote:
On Oct 19, 8:16*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:54:36 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * *I have a 2600 sq ft 4 level split home in Canada. It was built in
1985. This past spring we replaced our very non-effecient furnace with a
Tempstar 95% effecient gas furnace. It really is wonderful as the old
furnace would cause the house to feel sort of drafty and basement was always
cold etc... Now I have this furnace that I love to bits BUT now since it has
gotten colder outside these past two weeks, we have kept the doors and
windows closed and now have a high humidity problem inside the home IE:
fogged up windows (triple pane)...air basically feels clammy...bought a
humidistat and the house is sitting at around 50% humidity....

What did you change in addition to the furnace? *Windows? *insulation?
Did the furnace come with a humidifier?

The last would be my guess-- and it should have both an adjustment and
an outside sensor.

What does the installer say?

Jim

It's possible the new furnace has a seperate intake where it pulls
outside air in for combustion.

Hmm. Ours has an intake and outlet to the outside world - but it also has
a small shoebox-sized pump beside it, which collects moisture and pumps
it into the waste water system for the house. I'm not sure if that pump
is for extracting moisture that's in the air, or from the gas supply -
but given the way it's floor mounted beside the furnace it looks like
optional extra equipment, as otherwise surely it'd be built into the
furnace...

If it *is* optional on furnaces and the OP doesn't have it, maybe they
need it, whatever its exact function is...

(just idle speculation, not based on any knowledge of how furnaces work! :-)

cheers

Jules- Hide quoted text -

That pump is to pump out the water byproduct of the gas burning. On
older lower effeciency furnaces the water would go out as vapor. On
newer furnaces the exhaust temp is too low so the water condenses.
It's optional because some people have a drain nearby in the floor tha
the pipe can be routed to. Yours maybe has to pump up to a sink drain
or something like that?