Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Heat Pump Savings?

dpb wrote:
Tony wrote:
I have electric hot air heat and I am wondering how much I can expect
save with a heat pump? Eastern TN, almost in the Smokies and the
North Carolina border. Elevation about 1650'. It's around 15 degrees
warmer on the west side of the smokies where I am than compared to the
NC side.

I've managed to keep the electric bill below $115 most of the winters
when I turn down the central heat to 55-60 and use a small portable
electric heater in the room I am using. I would like to heat the
whole house to 68F. using a heat pump. I figure the heating portion
of the electric bill is about $75-$90. How much would that be with a
heat pump? If my rough figures are anywhere near accurate, it looks
like I won't break even for 15 to 20 years and that is without heating
the whole house to 68F.

When in Oak Ridge we replaced the original air-exchange heat pump w/ a
ground-loop and cut _that_ electric usage by almost 2/3-rds.

Air-exchange heat pumps have improved, but imo they're still very
marginal in E TN, especially as you go up in elevation (we were much
nearer 1000 ft where we were). Are you still on TVA or not may have
much to do w/ rates.

Thanks, I think I'm indirectly on TVA. I'm outside of Newport but my
power company is Newport Utilities. I believe they get their power from
the TVA. As far as the weather here, it's a little warmer than where I
was in PA and lot's of people had heat pumps up there. Now this is way
below normal, but last night I had a low of 33F, average low for last
night is 46F.