Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default electrical board safety

"nome" wrote in message
hello

our old cooker has packed up and were looking to replace with like for
like, A single electric fan oven that slides into a unit. The old
cooker was just plugged into a socket and looking around most products
seem to be hardwired in and require an electrician. Confusingly I
can't find anything that explains why some are socket based and most
are hardwired.

snip

Have a look in B&Q - they always seem to have a load of single electric fan
ovens on offer.
The one we got a year or so ago could be connected to a standard 13 amp
socket.

On the (volts * amps = watts) front a 13 amp socket should support at least
3 Kw and as Andrew has said most don't consume more than 2.5Kw.

I was expecting the electric cooker to require a dedicated circuit (we
already had one in place) but all it required was a 13 amp socket.

I think that kickass double ovens may well require more go juice but you
should be able to find a single oven to meet your requirements.
Decline the services of the electrician :-)