Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Adding sockets to ring main/add another ring

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim W writes:

I'm putting 4 rings in my house. 1.5 for the kitchen/diner (the other 0.5
serves utility and one bedroom), one for the rest of the ground floor and
one upstairs. It's not necessarily the case that the loads demand it, but
it's geographically convenient and povides sensible seggregation in the
event of one circuit tripping (ie I don't lose the whole house).

Last couple of kitchens I've done (16th Ed regs), I put two rings
into each, one RCD protected for the accessible socket outlets,
and one non-RCD protected for stationary/fixed appliances such as
fridge, freezer, oven, boiler, etc, which you don't want sharing
an RCD with anything else, and don't merit one themselves.

Do the fixed appliances merit a ring? They'd be quite happy on a 20
amp radial wouldn't they? I suppose it depends on whether there's
heating involved (washing machine, dishwasher, cooker). In our case
only one of those is in the kithechen though.

Thus far, I always used 30mA RCBO's per circuit (or 10mA in a
few cases), but never a single RCD covering multiple circuits.

--
Chris Green