Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default electrical board safety

"nome" wrote in message
hello

our old cooker has packed up and were looking to replace with like for
like, A single electric fan oven that slides into a unit. The old
cooker was just plugged into a socket and looking around most products
seem to be hardwired in and require an electrician. Confusingly I
can't find anything that explains why some are socket based and most
are hardwired.

So we got an electrician in that quoted for, a hardwired oven, a wire
running back to our board. Then looking at our board he said it did
not meet current regs and recommended, if we want, a newer board
either with a RCD on the main switch or RCDs on 2 separate sections.
This work also required testing all our electrics. The total cost is a
lot more than buying another socketed oven!

Looking at our board it says the following:

mk sentry consumer unit to BS 5486 PT13 1989
60a with rcd to 63a
rated with current switch disconnection

googling BS 5486 PT13 found this
http://www.standardsuk.com/shop/prod...php?prod=32364.

I was wondering if we need to replace? And I believe our box has an
RCD as well?
Should we spend £300 on the cost of upgrade/hardwired oven or just
get another socket oven? Our hob is gas by the way.

Hopeful of any advise

cheers

Nomit

Have you noticed a difference in the wattages of the various ovens? Is there
a co-relationship between plug and hardwired wattages?