Ken Vaughn

Default Is Usnet Dying?

"Nova" wrote in message
snip

My next door neighbor works "network tech support" (internal to the
company) for Adelphia Cable. Prior to me showing him what "UseNet" was,
he didn't even know it existed. I suspect it is the same with many of the
"kids" working for various ISP's.

Boy, does that sound familiar. I have used 5 or 6 ISP's in as many years,
and I have frequently had to tell customer support what USENET was. The
better ISP's use more than one news feed, which helps with the missing posts
problem. I have frequently complained about Earthlink newsgroup service,
but in all fairness I have seen a dramatic improvement since they
implemented new servers and split their subscriber base into two groups,
East and West. Message retention seems to be longer, as well.

I do believe that the number of ISP subscribers which use USENET is low,
probably less than 5%, maybe even less.
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/