Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Foam toolbox inserts

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:18:31 +0100, "John" wrote:

I recently watched some guys from Snap-On preparing to make some foam
inserts. They were using a scanner to make a scan of each of the tools. I
guess they were then going to use these scans to produce some outlines for
designing an ideal layout and then cutting the foam.

There's plenty of companies that will make these inserts: from reading the
buzzwords in the websites, they are routed, die cut, made from diced foam
("pluck foam"), cut with lasers and maybe water jets, in a bewildering variety
of foams. All good clean fun, but over the top to keep a handful of DIY tools in
place...

Anyway, I've bought two cans of expanding foam, and we'll see. I'm a little
uneasy because the darn stuff won't shift once cured, and also the maximum depth
on this stuff is 30 mm in one go -- I'd like a thicker first layer.

Thomas Prufer