Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC question

On Oct 19, 8:16*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:54:36 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * *I have a 2600 sq ft 4 level split home in Canada. It was built in
1985. This past spring we replaced our very non-effecient furnace with a
Tempstar 95% effecient gas furnace. It really is wonderful as the old
furnace would cause the house to feel sort of drafty and basement was always
cold etc... Now I have this furnace that I love to bits BUT now since it has
gotten colder outside these past two weeks, we have kept the doors and
windows closed and now have a high humidity problem inside the home IE:
fogged up windows (triple pane)...air basically feels clammy...bought a
humidistat and the house is sitting at around 50% humidity....

What did you change in addition to the furnace? *Windows? *insulation?
Did the furnace come with a humidifier?

The last would be my guess-- and it should have both an adjustment and
an outside sensor.

What does the installer say?

Jim

It's possible the new furnace has a seperate intake where it pulls
outside air in for combustion. The old one drew air directly from
outside, so there was always a significant amount of fresh air being
pulled into the house, at least into the basement. That would have
lowered the humidity, but now that is gone.

I agree with others who have said 50% humidity isn't excessively high
and it shouldn't make it feel clammy. It is the highest you would
want it though, otherwise you risk condensation. You wouldn't want
it that high when it's 15 outside, but by then with the furnace
running more, it's likely the humidity will decrease.