PoP

Default Radio controlled clock question

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:02:52 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

I did wonder if perhaps I'm in an area where the signal's not getting
through but I did try it during the 5 mile trip home in the car and
still no update!

Being low frequency it won't have a problem going round corners
because the signal bounces off the upper atmosphere, whereas with high
frequency (FM, VHF, TV etc) you have to have line of sight.

They use low frequency to communicate with submarines on the other
side of the world from Northwood in north London (the signal might go
out from Rugby though - I don't know the details). A sub can receive
signals at periscope depth, as happened in the Falklands when HMS
Conqueror was told to take out Belgrano by Northwood (the instruction
was issued from Downing Street).

Leastways, that's what was explained to me a few years back. So if I'm
right then the submarine will always have an accurate clock....

RCC symbol will flash for a maximum of 8 minutes and if signal is
successful it will update the clock and the RCC symbol will become
stationary - otherwise the RCC symbol will be off (which mine is after
the maximum 8 minutes of trying). I will have a read up on the Rugby
transmitter.

I've got one of those radio clocks sitting on my desk. Every so often
the receiving signal flashes for a period of time when it updates
itself. I don't have a problem with the clock being wrong.

Are you sure you haven't got it set to some other time zone? You need
GMT in the UK.

PoP