Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Adding sockets to ring main/add another ring

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:21:07 +0100 someone who may be Jim
wrote this:-

I was thinking it might be possible to run a thick cable out to some
kind of junction box, then spurs out to each socket rather than a ring -
I don't know if that's allowed under the wiring regs?

The Wiring Regulations offer a variety of standard solutions, for
want of better words. Many people think they are all that can be
used.

However, one is not restricted to using these standard solutions, in
fact they encourage innovation. There is a space on the forms IET
offer which allows one to list departures from the standard
solutions. However, if one does use something non-standard then it
has to provide at least an equivalent level of protection to the
standard solution. If it comes to it one may need to be able to
demonstrate this in a court, so may people sensibly stick to the
standard solutions.

If someone wanted to use say Schuko sockets in a building they would
have to wire them up to provide an equivalent level of safety. No
ring final circuits, suitably small floor areas, RCDs, double pole
circuit breakers and double pole switching, off the top of my head,
would provide an equivalent level of safety, but that is only off
the top of my head. There are few places where it makes any sense to
do this though.

Your proposed circuit would be non standard. Provided it was
designed, installed and documented properly no problem. Do you have
the skills to do this?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54