Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Zenith DTT-901 = FLAKY

Hi!

"Not very accurate" is one thing; off by a whole *hour* is something else.

Not if the timekeeping routine isn't getting enough CPU time!

Although...I really do think that this is a problem coming from the
broadcasting station. You'd think that the station would care, as knowing
the time is, ahh, kind of important for what they do.

I'm sure this is the source of at least some of the problems, but not all.
F'rinstance, one bizarre thing that happens occasionally is that the
*channel* numbers on the Simple Guide are displayed wrong (e.g., Ch. 28-1
becomes Ch. 29-1, etc.). I don't think this is caused by erroneous info
being transmitted by the station, but by the firmware getting confused.

It seems that there are two "channel numbers" in use here. One is the
actual, real channel that is being broadcast on. The other (displayed by the
DTT-901) is a "vanity" channel number. There's a station here that moved
from their analog VHF channel of three to a digital channel # of 49. Punch
in 49-1 or 49-2 on the DTT-901 and you go to 3-1 or 3-2. Interesting--and
maybe something that the firmware really *does* lose track of!

I actually asked the guy specifically if they had any firmware updates
available, and he said no, so it really is totally unsupported (well,
aside from being able to ask the tech support guy questions).

I really thought they were still selling it, but maybe not. I haven't
verified that. It's still on the Zenith web site.

Perhaps they don't have an easy way to upgrade the firmware and therefore
they tell everyone that no such thing exists? It makes sense to me--and
would keep users who are dangerous because they know words like "firmware"
from bricking their converter.

Those of us who could handle it--or wouldn't mind trying--are left out in
the cold. An unfortunate but understandable position.

Nope. The only clock function that can be set through the on-screen
menu is whether daylight savings time is automatically set or not.

Ah, yes, you are correct. Memory fade I guess. :-)

Digital TV, it seems, has finally eliminated what little interest I had in
broadcast TV to begin with... (And yes, I know that doesn't mean it did for
everyone.)

William