Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default What's the deal with the heavily-advertized Dyson vacuum cleaners?

on 10/17/2009 11:58 AM (ET) EXT wrote the following:
Sum Guy wrote:
Are the Dyson vacuum cleaners as good as they say they are?

Are they worthy of the tv-commercial air time? Or is this a case of
"if you advertize it, they will buy" ?

There is a little missleading information in their commercials in
saying that they do not loose suction. Their claim is based on the use
of cyclone centrifugal dust separation. Not the first to use them.
They are used in industrial applications and have been used in many
vacuums. However, cyclones work best with large dirt, fine dust and
even lighter bacterial and viruses rarely get separated because they
don't weigh enough to be affected by the centrifugal force. Dysons
sometimes mention they use a Hepa final filter to clean the air. Hepa
is not a standard and can mean many things, but, to add any filter at
the end of the exhaust can result in the filter becoming plugged and
reducing the amount of air that leaves the vacuum, thereby loosing
suction, which is what they advertise that it does not do.

I prefer central vacuums, with the exhaust blowing to the outside so
that fine particulate and other unwanted items are discharged to the
outdoors, not back into my house.

I have a central vacuum, but sometimes you just need to pick up some
local debris and don't want to drag 30' of hose out and snake it to
wherever you need it.. My other vac is a Bissell combo upright/canister
vac that I bought in WalMart when I wasn't shopping for a vac. I spotted
that candy apple red machine on the shelf and had to have it. I think it
was about $150 USD
http://www.acohardware.biz/713.html

--

Bill