Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Heat Pump Savings?

Agree with the above. I also don't see why the extra cost of a
ground source heat pump compared to air would be worth it in Tenn. ...

Having had one of each (while in TN), while strictly speaking the
break-even period would probably have been longer than we stayed in the
house ourselves[1], given the need/choice I'd have made the investment
again.

The difference in comfort w/ the higher-grade heat of the ground-loop
plus the elimination of the noise from the A/C outside exchanger were
intangible benefits well worth the additional installation cost in the
long run. And, if go ahead w/ the rejection-heat option, hot water is
available at essentially no additional operating cost during
A/C-operation season.

imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., ...

[1] I didn't make the initial decision on that basis; the old
air-exchange unit was failing and gas wasn't available in the
subdivision and I didn't want the LP tank (plus was quite high in the
area altho it was the nuisance/eyesore factor that was deciding; I just
didn't want either so really never considered it seriously). There was
as noted above a very noticeable reduction in our electric usage as
compared to before but I never did really worry about whether it was
enough to actually come out ahead; it was a fixed up-front cost that
didn't really factor into the decision.