Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Kenmore Microwave Oven - 2 failures in 2 years

Jim Yanik wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:37:57 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

I did factory repair for cheap brands like but not limited to Goldstar
and Tatung (basically Korean) back when the Amana Radar Range models
started to be taken over by those who didn't have a grand to spend on
the cheapest Amana. Also have worked on a ton of commercial Amanas
(every Burger King seemed to have at least one back then.)

Ok, you're an experienced expert, assuming you didn't just juggle
sub-assemblies and modules. However, I still think that increasing
the diode rating 25% is a good idea and doesn't have an effect on
safety, unless the diode is somehow used as a crowbar to blow the
fuse.

I note he didn't answer my question about HOW increasing the rating on the
HV diode would affect safety". Instead,he made an attack.
IOW,he doesn't know,thus not so "expert".

I don't believe the HV diode is "used as a crowbar" to blow the fuse,nor is
the diode intended to blow as a "safety" device.

You can put in a higher rated Diode/rectifier, it just cost more..

Most likely the original one is border line.