Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default drill holes in tubing

Karl Townsend wrote:
I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Well, Personally I wouldn't use steel. I'd use wood. 4X4 or even a 6X6.
Treated would last longer than the steel. And it would drag easier.

Drill your holes using a 2" Forstner bit. Then drill in on an angle and
use a screw to secure the tubing to the steel. OR Gorilla glue it in.

For the floor the easy thing to use is horse mats.

Why drag it to new ground? The idea with a greenhouse is that you use
compost and good soil in beds to raise plants. No real reason to move it.

--
Steve W.