Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? on grounding TV antenna

Dave wrote:
"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
3.213...
"Dave" wrote in
rica:

Was talking with someone the other day and mentioned that I had just
grounded the TV antenna (the mast, actually) to protect against
lightning strikes, and they said that was not such a good idea because
lightning is more likely to strike a path that goes straight to
ground. Now I am not sure what to do. Anyone have any input on this
topic? Ideas are gratefully received...

Antennas should be grounded in two ways. First the mast should be
grounded
and second, the cable feeding from the antenna should be grounded to a
grounding block that is wired to a ground source before entering the home.

Grounding is not only for lightning strikes. Wind blowing over the tines
creates static electrical charge that will be discharged through the
ground
wire.

Larry

Hadn't even thought of this. My heartfelt thanks,

Dave

If you've ever listened to any sort of shortwave broadcasts on a whip
antenna, you may have heard static discharges that make a zip, zip,
zip sound through the speaker at regular intervals.

TDD