Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Snake wire from wall to ceiling -- MY SOLUTION

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 4:41 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:07:52 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

They may become "comparatively" better as newer homes are "cheapened"
with the price relating more to "features" than "quality"

And what about the things that are so far behind the times that they
become a problem, and things that become dangerous? Electrical wiring
doesn't last forever, and neither does plumbing. Just because you
have that really stout looking STEEL pipe, it doesn't mean it isn't
rotted to **** inside, right? The insulation on the wiring can just
dry up and die, and then the first time it's disturbed it cracks and
you have a potential for a short or fire. Insulation, wasteful
boilers, etc., etc.

(snip)

I'll offer a big AMEN to that. I love old houses as much as the next
guy, and all the Real Wood instead of ply or OSB, etc. I especially love
the hardwood floors and interior cabinetry, casings and built-ins.
Having said that, however, I prefer modern plumbing and HVAC, modern
insulation/windows, modern 200 amp electrical, and so on. And unlike on
TOH, most people can't cost-justify retrofitting all that to an older
house, much less even finding somebody to do the retrofit. Even a
semi-modern like this 1960 I am sitting in gives me fits at times.
Assuming I can afford to retire on schedule, I'm gonna look for a 1970
or newer for the next one.

--
aem sends...