Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What's the deal with the heavily-advertized Dyson vacuum cleaners?

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:26 pm, Scott in SoCal wrote:
RicodJour said:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Sum Guy wrote:
Are the Dyson vacuum cleaners as good as they say they are?
Are they worthy of the tv-commercial air time? Or is this a case of "if
you advertize it, they will buy" ?
They are just trying to justify a high price. Some people will buy
something just because it costs more.
Curious that you have such a strong opinion on something you don't
own.

I have never owned a Yugo, but I still know that they suck.

Based on what? Based on other people's opinions? That's what the
reviews on Amazon and Epinions and the like are - other people's
opinions. If you don't value other people's opinions, does that mean
you're smarter than everyone else? Based on you being an auto
mechanic and taking them apart and putting them back together again?
That has some weight, so let's apply it to what Chocstraw opined: do
you think he's an appliance repairman and has had a large number of
unhappy customers with Dyson vacuums? Why wouldn't he have said so?
Why would Dyson give a FIVE year warranty if the things didn't last
(main reason people replace vacuums is because they break).

Or they thought they were broken. When I lived in the apartments, I
used to find at least one orphan a month sitting by the dumpster. Almost
always, all they needed was the string cut out of the beater bar, the
hairballs removed from the elbow in the plumbing, and maybe a new belt
to replace the smoked-slick or broken one. If they were shiny enough,
I'd get them running and drop them off at Goodwill, or give to friends
to sell in their garage sale.

That is one definite downside of moving into a house. Instead of 17
dumpsters that I would walk by every evening on my walk, now I get to
listen to idiot dogs barking at me, even after we have been introduced
multiple times.

--
aem sends...