Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove old abandoned metal elec box

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:48:15 -0700 (PDT), theparty
wrote:

I want to remove a single metal box from the wall of my hallway. There
was a switch there that operated the light in the attic, it was higher
up on the wall and unsightly. I am moving the wires and connections to
another box on the other side of the walll (in a closet, with a blank
cover), and putting a light with pull chain in the attic. I want to do
as little damge to the wall as posible, then I'll repair the opening
with wood and plaster. It looks like the box is nailed to a stud with
two nails visible going through the box. What's the correct procedure?

I like to use a hacksaw blade. To nake it a little more comfortable,
fashion a duct-tape handle on one end. More important, make sure all
wire connections are inside an electrical box.