Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Singer model 513 sewing machine problems

PeterD wrote:

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:24:21 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

This machine most of the time sews fine except that on some ocaisions
intermittently it will bunch up the thread underneath the cloth. I
removed the bobbin case and noted that there are two small screws on
this case. One is in a round hole and the other is in an oval hole. I
found that the screw in the oval hole was not tight. There is no
provision for any adjustment from side to side on the small piece
inside this case that holds the bobbin thread however it is possible
to tension the thread depending on how tight you tighten this screw. I
don't think it is supposed to be tightened all the way because when I
did that and tried to pass a thread through it would not go through.
I had to loosen this screw about one and a half turns to let the
bobbin thread slip throught the slot and then hook. I'm not familiar
with this adjstment,(if it is an adjustment). Could this be the cause
of the thread intermittently bunch? Can anyone please help me with
this? Also is there a more appropriate news group that I might try
that is dedicated to sewing machine repairs? Thanks, Lenny.

I can tell you that yes, that screw controls the bottom thread
tension, and should be adjusted 'properly'. For you 'properly' is
probably trial and error.

As to your 'bunching' (tangling) of the thread, I have no idea, I've
seen this and it is a PITA...

Sometimes it's just bad thread. My mom sewed most of her life, and
she always had a small box of bad thread that was used to hand sew on
buttons and such. It was strong enough, but not smooth enough to work in
the various sewing machines she owned.