Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clint Sharp Clint Sharp is offline

Default Soldering brass

In message
,
Matty F writes
Hah! I better investigate brazing. I'm tempted to have a look at
getting it cast in a foundry. This may be harder than I thought.

Should be a piece of cake to solder, silver or soft. Brazing is a
different matter, IIRC you're risking melting the workpiece when you
reach the temperatures required if it's made of brass.

Brass is a doddle to solder given sufficient heat, all you need to do is
assemble the box and wire it together using steel wire. Nothing to say
you couldn't use some brass machine screws to hold the box together and
then file the protruding bits off later either!

If you can anneal the brass and fold shapes to form a box then it
becomes easier still.
You can even cast brass at home if you are sufficiently adventurous, I
quite fancy having a go at lost wax casting.
--
Clint Sharp