Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Compact Florescent lamp trick

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 16 Oct 2009 04:53:00p, David Nebenzahl told us...

On 10/16/2009 4:20 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

yes, and "candelabra base" is the correct term. "Edison base" is the
standard light bulb that we all know and love, "Mogul base" is the size
larger than that that you hardly ever see anymore.

Well, you (and I) don't see mogul bases much anymore, but anyone who
deals with commercial or industrial lighting sees them a *lot*.

Most mogul base bulbs for residential use were 3-way builbs used as the
center bulb in floor lamps. They were particularly common in the 1940s-
1950s. Usually the central mogul base bulb was surrounded by 3 edison base
sockets with a3-way switche to turn on 1, 2, or all 3 bulbs. The mogul had
it's own 3-way switch to handle the double filaments.

So back in the 50's the "lamp dimming" technology to dim lights and use
less power was far, far superior to the modern use of "Dimmer Switches".
That figures! (I'd like to find one of those lamps.)

At my last home I rewired the lights on the ceiling fans. I made it so
the first pull on the chain turned on two opposite bulbs (25 watt), the
next pull turned them off and turned on the other two sockets (with 60
watt bulbs), the third pull turned on all four sockets/bulbs. Much more
efficient than a dimmer switch.