Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Compact Florescent lamp trick

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:16:52 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:
I replaced one bulb of 4 incandescent bulbs with a compact florescent
lamp and the dimmer on the circuit quit working. The lights come on
but full brightness no matter where the control is. Put in a regular
light bulb and everything is back to normal. If igure the reactive
load of the florescent lamp screws up the dimmer.

Jimmie.

I'm no CFL expert, but I recall a thread on here where you had to buy
special CFLs with an extra circuit in the base, for use on dimmers.

On a related note- does anybody make CFLs for the small candelabra
bases?

That's the same size base as C7 holiday lights.

I've found some 7W candelabra-base CFLs at Lowe's. It's been about 3
years, so that doesn't mean they have them now.

(can't remember the proper term). Half my ceiling lights use
those damn things. Had to get special ones of those, too. Ones in the
hanging lamp over kitchen table were regular 'flame' bulbs when I moved
in, and when one zap-failed, it fried the dimmer. The special ones have
a backup wire to keep the spike from going back up the line, or something.

BTW, I do use a CFL in my stovetop hood. It would get too hot with an
incandescent.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster