Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Soldering brass

In message
,
Matty F writes
It has to withstand quite a lot of vibration and being kicked by heavy
boots.

I offer this just for interest, but it might be relevant.

When we built the yacht in the garage, I took the door off an old
fridge, folded a piece of brass to be easy to clip over the bottom of
the icebox and soldered mainly copper tube offcuts, but all sorts of
other junk to it. A sheet of polythene guided the dripping condensate
into the salad tray at the bottom, which was emptied every evening.

This was my attempt to dehumidify during the build.

Towards the end of the 5 years the copper tubes started to fall off.
Inspection showed that the solder had changed to what looked like a
crystalline form - sort of like a really terrible dry joint, but much
more obvious.

Not certain what caused this. I don't think it was due to anything like
different expansion/contraction rates between brass and copper, as the
fridge just ran continuously for the whole 5 years. It might have been
long term vibration in the cold.
--
Bill