Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Roto Rooter ...or? and disposal model

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:05:55 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Oct 16, 4:19*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:01:45 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

wrote:
Anybody have experience with them?

My plumber (eccentric guy) always proclaims he's trying to save me
money, which, in view of my circumstances sounds great.

But is he? * Latest visit, *to snake kitchen sink, cost $85. *This is
Santa Monica CA -- not a cheap area.
I tried the Roto Rooter site, but no prices listed.

Would be grateful for:

1. *Comparative experiences in this general area * Whom did you use?
Satisfaction?

2. *Price comparisons, also in this area.

3. *Recommended 1/2 HP disposal models? *He mentioned a brand I'm not
familiar with; sorry *I didn't write down the name. *Said it was just
as good as the name brands. *He quote $220 installed. *Reasonable?

Grateful for any advice on (1) snaking kitchen sink and (2) model of
disposal and price of installation.

TIA

85 bucks for a house call to do ANYTHING is reasonable as hell. As for
a disposal, just have someone teach you how to scrape garbage off of
plates into the garbage where it belongs. Disposals are a ridiculous
concept. They are forever jamming, needing repair or replacement, and
can even be the cause of plumbing backups that will cost you even more
money. If I bought a house that had a disposal, I would remove it. In
fact, that's what I did when I bought this house.

Right. I hardly used the disposal at all, and haven't for years..
decades!
That's why I was surprised when plumber said it sounded like something
was loose, or...
not sure what his diagnosis was...

I HAVE always composted the stuff that's appropriate for compost, and
scraped meat, bones, etc
into garbage.So really don't need "teaching" thank you, though I know
the advice was well meant.

If you never use it, then why even consider replacing it? Just remove
the old one. You did start out wondering if your plumber was
reasonable and saying that money was tight...

You are welcome!