Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Semi On Topic: Heating my shop

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:06:24 -0400, Wes wrote:

I built a small room inside my garage that I could afford to heat electrically.

My needs require a programmable thermostat.

Since I'm using electric heat, I need a line voltage model. That changes one's choices.

Honeywell makes a 7 day programmable model the TL8230A that seemed like a natural for my
work schedule since it offers better granularity than a 5-2 day unit.

My first google search was Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/HONEYWELL-TL82...5734040&sr=8-2
69.95 with free shipping.

Googling around found drillspot.com
http://www.drillspot.com/products/15... e_Thermostat

48.35 + 6.44 shipping

But I recieved it from Grainger today. They sell it for 76.75 and I have no idea of
shipping costs.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6WY23

I sure don't understand the marketing strategies but I think I got deal.

Wes

The Grainger URL you cite displays a non-programmable stat.

If you don't mind doing a bit of artificing, you could use a 24-volt
xfmr, a relay with 24-volt coil or a solid-state relay (about $25) and
one of many good choices of residential programmable stats.

This approach probably wouldn't save you any $ but it would probably
work noticably better. Line volt stats tend to have rather large
differentials as RoyJ observed. There are other reasons to avoid them
as well.

By the way, I was a scientist/engineer at Honeywell in a previous
life.