Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Drawing a circuit diagram

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:07:32 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:
People sometimes send me photographs embedded in a Word doc, because 'I
don't know how to send pictures but I know how to put them into a Word
document and I know how to send them.' It beats me. If they can send .docs
why can't they send .jpgs?

Times where I've seen that have been where users wanted to either package
several images together in one file, or they wanted to resize them -
something that MS platforms didn't used to do very well out of the box.
ISTR there being a time where MS paint wouldn't even save in JPEG format.
Not sure what the modern excuse is, though, unless the bundles OS utilites
are still that bad...

(I saw it a lot in the corporate world - where employees weren't allowed
the install their own software, so they couldn't even put something on
there to do the job)

This friend I have down south has just bought a new camera and she keeps
sending me examples of her photographic brilliance. Trouble is the
camera has massive resolution and the pics (which have no artistic or
other value and are mostly out of focus and/or have camera shake) are
4.5MB, and she sends five at a time. Most of them are of her bloody cats
as well.

The one that really ****es me off is when someone sends you an enormous
uncompressed bitmap for some crap that may as well been in a different
format at a fraction of the size.

That or people who send me plain-text information as PDF files, Word
documents and the like. And people who top-post in emails. And send them
out in HTML format. And animated smilies. etc. etc.
:-)