Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Compact Florescent lamp trick

aemeijers wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I replaced one bulb of 4 incandescent bulbs with a compact florescent
lamp and the dimmer on the circuit quit working. The lights come on
but full brightness no matter where the control is. Put in a regular
light bulb and everything is back to normal. If igure the reactive
load of the florescent lamp screws up the dimmer.

Jimmie.

I'm no CFL expert, but I recall a thread on here where you had to buy
special CFLs with an extra circuit in the base, for use on dimmers.

yes, I have some. They work "OK" but still aren't great - the dimmer
hums a little when they're fully dimmed, so I wonder if something bad
isn't happening in there. (it's a Lutron Diva dimmer, if it makes any
difference. I *think* the CFLs are Sylvania, FWIW. Pretty sure I got
them at Lowe's. The "dimmable" CFLs that Home Despot sells... aren't.
They sucked so badly I returned them on principle.)

On a related note- does anybody make CFLs for the small candelabra
bases? (can't remember the proper term). Half my ceiling lights use
those damn things. Had to get special ones of those, too. Ones in the
hanging lamp over kitchen table were regular 'flame' bulbs when I moved
in, and when one zap-failed, it fried the dimmer. The special ones have
a backup wire to keep the spike from going back up the line, or something.

yes, and "candelabra base" is the correct term. "Edison base" is the
standard light bulb that we all know and love, "Mogul base" is the size
larger than that that you hardly ever see anymore.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel