Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Douglass Tim Douglass is offline

Default Almost OT - Desk chair restoration question

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:43:57 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

One "gotcha" (maybe)...

I've used a number of casters of that type (not from posted URL). I like
the (relatively) soft ball because our soil is sand and the soft ball is
kinder to our floors. The problem I have had is that the stem was punch
fastened to the caster plate and ultimately it and the plate loosen
sufficiently to spew ball bearings all over the place. I hope these are
better secured because I need a bunch too.

Yeah, that's another problem with the cheap casters. What really
torques me is that I have a 1950's metal (think military style) desk
chair that still has the original casters. It has been used so much
that the aluminum base is wearing out, but the casters are still good!
Why can't I buy something that good off the shelf? (besides the
obvious conspiracy thing)

I have always considered the caster plate deformation to be something
of a side effect of the whole wobbly stem thing - in that if the stem
is actually held solidly there doesn't seem to be the same deformation
problems with the caster plate. When the stem is at an angle because
the socket has failed it puts much more side loading on that punch
fastened connection.

My wife suggested that the casters would last better if I lost about
50 lbs, but that is clearly un unworkable solution! ;-)

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.