Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Laptop.

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Bought a laptop from PC World the other day - wanted it there and then
and the post is so slow these days. It's an Acer 5536. Nice enough
machine - but gawd I hate Vista.

Take it back immediately and replace it with a Vista Business machine
that comes with XP "downgrade" installation software. This should get
you a proper Vista with the vital bits eg a proper backup program in,
and at the moment you should be covered for free upgrade to Win 7.

I've already spent more than I wanted to. Not worried about backup - it
won't be used for anything important. But in any case I'll wait till I try
Win7. If the worst comes to the worst I can always load in my copy of XP.

I still think that the question of drivers for XP might be worth
checking on.

I don't know about a 5536, but some Acers I've got or had needed
specific Acer bodged drivers to allow things like a volume control to
work properly.

That's the other thing about the decent MS backup program. It lets you
take a complete image to DVD's before you revert to XP and discover
something missing.
--
Bill