Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mynick mynick is offline

Default microwave magnetron dead?

On Oct 16, 4:01 am, Erik wrote:
In article
communications,

jeff_wisnia wrote:
mynick wrote:

no shorts between magnetron contacts or ground but when plugged it
does not heat the oven contents and has loud hum
Is it dead(how to make sure) or perhaps requires say 1v higher cathode
heating voltage than what transformer supplies?

Watch out for a big capacitor in there which in some cases can give you
a nasty high voltage bite even after the oven has been unplugged for a
while.

Jeff

Or as a guy I know would so eloquently warn... "Dont ya'll be messin
with that s**t lest you know what you doin; it'll up'n give yo ass a
dirt nap"

Good advise too. I hate 'dirt naps' anymore, especially now that I'm a
bit older.

Microwaves reached disposable appliance status eons ago... if it's not
in warranty, spring for a new one, they're cheap.

Erik

I meant what is going to happen if you try replace original magnetron
with one that has 4.13v or 3.6v filament voltage but original hv
transformer gives 3.15V