Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default freakin' compressor motor's ALREADY krapped out, and only 34 yrs old....

You've certainly got your money's worth out of the compressor in the time
you've owned it. The cost of the thermal protector is small compared to a
new motor, or new compressor.

The TP is what saves the motor when it gets hot, or the motor is heating due
to the voltage drop from an inadequate extension cord, or too heavy of a
load.
If your motor hadn't had the TP, it might've just burned the windings the
last time you used the compressor.

Fuses and circuit breakers aren't sensitive to the temperature of the motor,
so they can't replace the TP.
The cost of a new TP is the best insurance you can buy to protect the motor
from damage due to overheating in the future.

With a new capacitor and TP, and a little cleaning of the internal parts and
some oil for the bearings, you're not likely to have any other problems with
that motor for quite a while.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"dave" wrote in message

yeah, but I HATE paying retail, bill...and ENJOY 'reverse engineering' too
much to pay retail, or to use "the right stuff" when I can adapt something
else ENTIRELY (preferably out of my 'stash-heap') to do the job. I mean
like, if it's doable...