Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laptop.

Howard Neil wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
Bill wrote:

What on earth in these days of Open Office do you want Works for?

One good thing you can say for it, is it is a cheap way of getting a
full version of MS Word on a new machine. So if you must have word on
a new machine (say for compatibility with other software that used
office automation with word for producing printed matter), an OEM
version of Works suite is about £28 trade and that comes with a full
version of Word 2003, which is usually good enough.

Compatibility of Open Office and Word is not an issue. You can set up
Open Office to automatically open and convert any Word document and to
automatically save all output in Word format. I know of one local
council that does just that. They interact regularly with offices and
companies that use only Word and nobody is aware that this council is
saving the public a lot of money.

yep. I have had no probs with teh average word document. There will
always be someone who has used teh msot obscure feature of Word that
they could find in the manual, that breaks everything except their
particular version, but my experience is that communications from such
individuals can safely be ignored.

The more usal issue with written documents, is that the person writing
has used a particular font face, and spaces and carriage returns, to
format (like a typewriter) and you dont have that font....;-)